Cultural Encounters Reflection

1. What was one thing you learned from the simulations we played in class? How did this help you understand the essential questions better?
I learned that life is unfair but you just have to deal with it. You also need to make the right choices for a good life. This is because, when Mr. Daw(the king) offered us to join him, no one took the offer. Later on in the games, we found out that all of us made the wrong choice because if we have accepted his offer, then we would have gotten more land, food, and water.

2. Reading was a part of Cultural Encounters. When you read the books you were asked to think about your reading. What did you learn about your reading while doing this?
I learned a few things about my character. One thing is that ladies(my character) and gentleman are separated from other people. Another thing I learned is that I am the person who employs people. I cannot live without the people who are thought low. Just like indentured servants, laborers, and many others.

3. Did the journal entries help you to better understand your character? Why or why not? Explain in detail.
Yes. The journal entries did help me have a better understanding of my character. Each journal helped me understand my character better. This is because as I wrote my journals, I got more and more ideas for my character. So I kept on writing until I ran out of ideas.

4. What was the best part of your presentation? How could it have been improved?
I think the best part of my presentation is when Joseph (Michael) tells me that I would have a lot of trouble in the winter, he does an evil laugh and I whine to him. It could have been improved this part by making it even more funny and have Joseph(Michael) run his hands together as he laughs to make it more dramatic.

5. What was the biggest learning you gained from this unit? Explain with details.
The biggest learning I gained from this unit is that life in very unfair. I realized this after all the simulations. Because some people turned out in very bad condition in the first simulation and it was the matter of luck. It wasn't that they didn't have any skills, it's just that they couldn't save all their crops. My group turned out to be the best. We had lots of food, shelter, clothing, and water.

1 comment: